Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What a Beautiful Mess I'm In - Part Two

Ok, so with the prototype done, my next attempt was going to be something really out of the left field. Dad-in-law was really caught up on the fact that the prototype didn't have the right coloring of a mooncake. It has to be a deep, earthy brown, baked color. So the only other way I could think of to replicate the color without having to go out and buy an airbrush and test out my non-existent artistic skills was to actually use a mooncake dough that I could bake onto the cake itself. Alright. Do you see the wall coming? I thought you might've.

I searched around FOREVER online to find a mooncake recipe that I could use on the cake. Since I've never made mooncakes from scratch (its an extremely long and arduous process that usually isn't worth it to most people) I was a bit lost on this part. Well, when push comes to shove, you do whatever it takes, which is how I decided to use Yan Can Cook's mooncake recipe.

I made the dough according to the recipe and baked my 9" cake and was ready to go. Wow, smooth sailing. Making that prototype really helped out. Well, I spoke too quickly.

Here's Mooncake Prototype Version 2.0:


So what happened? When I put the cake into the oven to bake the crust, the dough began to expand. And in expanding, it also became heavy and slid right down the side of the cake. I couldn't salvage it in time, so I ripped the sides off and replaced it with a new layer, hence the large seam you see. I also realized that I'm going to have to flash bake this on high heat to get the dough set before it can melt off the cake. Here's where the burning comes in. I put the cake under the broiler thinking a few minutes would do, you know, to really get that brown color. What I didn't adjust for was the heat. There was just too much. Ok dad-in-law, you got your color; only its the color burned.

Sigh, here comes Version 3.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment